[rescue] SMP on intel wasteful?

Chris Hedemark chris at yonderway.com
Tue Jun 25 10:20:55 CDT 2002

On Tue, 2002-06-25 at 08:38, George Adkins wrote:

> Oops, *BZZZT* thanks for playing...
>
> Employees are totally clueless,

That's a very dangerous assumption to make, especially if you've managed
some of the shops that I've been in.

> and wouldn't know what to exploit even if
> they wanted to.

Bugtraq is open to the public ya know.

> And there's no way in HELL I'm going to light up an ethernet port for an
> outside vendor, let alone allow them into our secure area unsupervised.
> (There is no ethernet access outside of the secure areas).

Well when your CEO is insisting on letting visitors plug in to check
their mail, there's not a lot of choice in the matter.  At least I got
that in writing to cover my assets.

> I (like most sysadmins who know what they're doing) take Security
Seriously.

But at the same time you don't take employees seriously.

Those approaches are mutually exclusive.

[demime 0.99c.1 removed an attachment of type application/pgp-signature which had a name of signature.asc]