[rescue] SMP on intel wasteful?

ssandau at bath.tmac.com ssandau at bath.tmac.com
Tue Jun 25 19:14:53 CDT 2002

> heh, I take the employees seriously, when they hire someone with enough clue
> to crack one of the servers at $WORK, it's because that employee's coming to
> work for me anyway.  There is one (count that, one) employee outside my
> department who has the root password set, and that's the General Manager.
> They are in a little paper envelope locked in a safe-deposit box offsite,
> just in case they ever have to fire my whole department while I'm on
> vacation.

DUDE! You get vacation?! Geez, you proably get PAID, too!

Kidding aside, taking security and employees seriously are separate things. To
me, security involves my staff and me on one side and the rest of the world (in
my office or not) on the other. I never give more permissions than necessary.
I'm accused of being a little paranoid sometimes, but I have never prevented
anyone from doing his job.

Steve