[rescue] SMP on intel wasteful?

George Adkins george at webbastard.org
Tue Jun 25 07:38:59 CDT 2002

On Tuesday 25 June 2002 07:56 am, you wrote:
> On Tue, 2002-06-25 at 00:01, George Adkins wrote:
> > Sure, no box can be secured from an Inside threat.  Give me Physical
> > access to the box and the resources to exploit it, and there is no
> > security.
> >
> > However, since my boxes (and for that matter, 99% of the rest of the
> > computers in the world) don't have to worry about that, we're back to the
> > most common threat being a connection to the 'Net.
>
> Assume for a minute that your boxes are physically secure.
>
> If you're like most IT guys, you focus your security efforts mostly on
> the outside world.  Build one helluva firewall to keep the kiddies out.
>
> But in the meantime, its disgruntled employees, nosy employees, on-site
> vendors with laptops, etc. that make up the largest threat.  These are
> people with motives and at least 100Mbps connection to your servers.

Oops, *BZZZT* thanks for playing...

Employees are totally clueless, and wouldn't know what to exploit even if
they wanted to.  However, security on my networks (all three of them) is
through-and-through.  Any one of my Boxes can stand alone against the 'Net
without the firewall if necessary.  The firewall just keeps the *logs cleaner.

And there's no way in HELL I'm going to light up an ethernet port for an
outside vendor, let alone allow them into our secure area unsupervised.
(There is no ethernet access outside of the secure areas).

I (like most sysadmins who know what they're doing) take Security Seriously.

So, next question?
George