[rescue] SMP on intel wasteful?

Chris Hedemark chris at yonderway.com
Tue Jun 25 06:56:43 CDT 2002

On Tue, 2002-06-25 at 00:01, George Adkins wrote:

> Sure, no box can be secured from an Inside threat.  Give me Physical access
> to the box and the resources to exploit it, and there is no security.
>
> However, since my boxes (and for that matter, 99% of the rest of the
> computers in the world) don't have to worry about that, we're back to the
> most common threat being a connection to the 'Net.

Assume for a minute that your boxes are physically secure.

If you're like most IT guys, you focus your security efforts mostly on
the outside world.  Build one helluva firewall to keep the kiddies out.

But in the meantime, its disgruntled employees, nosy employees, on-site
vendors with laptops, etc. that make up the largest threat.  These are
people with motives and at least 100Mbps connection to your servers.

The FBI would tend to agree with that.  They've been telling congress
for years that the most damaging computer crimes are being committed by
corporate insiders.

My experience would tend to reflect that.  Sure you see script kiddies
all the time trying to find holes to exploit.  Its your own users you
have to watch the closest though.