[rescue] SMP on intel wasteful?

George Adkins george at webbastard.org
Mon Jun 24 23:01:29 CDT 2002

On Monday 24 June 2002 10:15 pm, you wrote:
> On Mon, 2002-06-24 at 21:50, George Adkins wrote:
> > Agreed, Who (in their right mind) puts a stock machine out on the exposed
> > frontier anyway?  It would be foolish to expose a box to the world
> > without first hardening (or at least securing) it.
>
> The greatest threats are from the inside world.

Sure, no box can be secured from an Inside threat.  Give me Physical access
to the box and the resources to exploit it, and there is no security.

However, since my boxes (and for that matter, 99% of the rest of the
computers in the world) don't have to worry about that, we're back to the
most common threat being a connection to the 'Net.

George