[rescue] Re: Re: Windows 2000 on oooold PC hardware

Robert Novak rnovak at indyramp.com
Mon Jun 24 21:19:57 CDT 2002

On Mon, 24 Jun 2002, George Adkins wrote:

> I've thirsted after a Thunder 2500 for some time now, mostly for it's Dual 64
> bit PCI Busses and 8 (count them, 8) Dimm slots.

They're selling around here at the swaps, new in package, for $200-250. I
got mine, working pull with possible SGI bios, for $40. And yep, 8 dimm
slots, ECC Registered SDRAM, up to 8gig of RAM. Yum.

> > I still like the dual ppro systems I have. I got rid of both of my quad
> > ppros because of return on electricity (dual p3 will match quad ppro 200,
> > for the most part, and use about 1/4 of the power).
>
> Hmm, funny,  I have a Proliant 6500R with Quad PPro/1Meg CPU's that kicks the
> snot out of Dual PIII 450's, at least under heavier (relatively speaking,
> after all it is Intel) load.

Well, 1meg cache is a bit better than the 256kb cache chips I generally
use. That would make a very probable difference. I've only seen one
200/1024 chip in my life that I'm aware of, and I don't know for sure that
my boards support it so I didn't plunk the $40 to buy it.

And of course, it depends on what you're doing with it.

Rob