[rescue] Re: Windows 2000 on oooold PC hardware

George Adkins george at webbastard.org
Mon Jun 24 20:48:26 CDT 2002

> > I've installed Win2000 on Dual PPro200 boxen for $WORKPLACE and with
> > 64 megs of RAM it doesn't run too terribly bad.  a little better with
> > 128Megs..
>
> That would veritably kick some ass. I don't have any personal SMP Windows
> boxes of any platform at the moment, although I had NT4 on the dual cpu
> AS2000 and a dual R4400 for a while (only OS I could find for the NEC
> R4400 dual system--not even NetBSD supported it). I do have a spare dual
> p3-500 here (supermicro board, converting it to tyan thunder 2500 soon
> when I get more ECC Reg SDRAM), so maybe it'll see win2k before it gets a
> real OS. :)
I've thirsted after a Thunder 2500 for some time now, mostly for it's Dual 64
bit PCI Busses and 8 (count them, 8) Dimm slots.

it would be a step up from the Intel440GX boards I'm using now at $WORK for
Wintel Application Terminal Servers.

> I still like the dual ppro systems I have. I got rid of both of my quad
> ppros because of return on electricity (dual p3 will match quad ppro 200,
> for the most part, and use about 1/4 of the power).

Hmm, funny,  I have a Proliant 6500R with Quad PPro/1Meg CPU's that kicks the
snot out of Dual PIII 450's, at least under heavier (relatively speaking,
after all it is Intel) load.

George