[rescue] Re: Windows 2000 on oooold PC hardware

Robert Novak rnovak at indyramp.com
Mon Jun 24 19:59:50 CDT 2002

On Mon, 24 Jun 2002, George Adkins wrote:

> On Monday 24 June 2002 08:09 pm, you wrote:
> > On Mon, 2002-06-24 at 20:04, Robert Novak wrote:
> > > I could probably run Win2k on a 486/66. Haven't tried, but I might if I
> > > get bored after vacation. It SMOKES on a Pentium 150 or 233 or P2-233.
> >
> > I will confirm, Windows 2000 on a Pentium 100 works pretty well (for
>
> Surprising, as the installation requirements say P133 (not that that
> means anything, I actually got 98 to install on a '386 laptop w/ 6
> Megs of RAM once.  it took a week to boot, but it came up..
> eventually)

Agreed. It's like most of us Sun folks have learned, there's a big
difference between "supported configuration" and "heck, it works."

> I've installed Win2000 on Dual PPro200 boxen for $WORKPLACE and with
> 64 megs of RAM it doesn't run too terribly bad.  a little better with
> 128Megs..

That would veritably kick some ass. I don't have any personal SMP Windows
boxes of any platform at the moment, although I had NT4 on the dual cpu
AS2000 and a dual R4400 for a while (only OS I could find for the NEC
R4400 dual system--not even NetBSD supported it). I do have a spare dual
p3-500 here (supermicro board, converting it to tyan thunder 2500 soon
when I get more ECC Reg SDRAM), so maybe it'll see win2k before it gets a
real OS. :)

I still like the dual ppro systems I have. I got rid of both of my quad
ppros because of return on electricity (dual p3 will match quad ppro 200,
for the most part, and use about 1/4 of the power).

Which reminds me, I need to get one of these AT dual ppro boards tested
and shipped out, as well as some other stuff I can't leave here on
vacation. :)

--Rob