[rescue] SMP on intel wasteful?

Patrick Giagnocavo +1.717.201.3366 patrick at .zill.net
Mon Jun 24 15:35:04 CDT 2002

On Mon, Jun 24, 2002 at 04:38:03PM -0400, Big Endian wrote:
> >When you push linux/intel to the limits you push it righ off the table.
>
> Ditto here.  I had a *PAIR* of IBM 4000R netfinities.  Dual 750 p3,
> gig ram, dual 9 gig scsi, the works.  These the best os for intel
> systems (freebsd) and postfix.  A *SINGLE* sun AXi @ 300mhz sends
> more messages with 1/100 of the system load.  Raw clock !=

Not to nitpick here, but how did you measure the system load?

> performance.  It honestly depends on what you're doing.  Also
> price/performance of used Sun/SGI gear blows even brand new PC gear
> out of the water for I/O bound tasks.

Absolutely.  If IRIX was as secure out of the box as OpenBSD, I would
have nothing but SGI stuff.

And if OpenOffice were available for IRIX, I wouldn't be getting ready
to sell my SGI Indigo2 <snif> .

Cordially

Patrick Giagnocavo
patrick at zill.net