[rescue] SMP on intel wasteful?

Big Endian bigendian at mac.com
Mon Jun 24 15:38:03 CDT 2002

Ditto here.  I had a *PAIR* of IBM 4000R netfinities.  Dual 750 p3,
gig ram, dual 9 gig scsi, the works.  These the best os for intel
systems (freebsd) and postfix.  A *SINGLE* sun AXi @ 300mhz sends
more messages with 1/100 of the system load.  Raw clock !=
performance.  It honestly depends on what you're doing.  Also
price/performance of used Sun/SGI gear blows even brand new PC gear
out of the water for I/O bound tasks.

daniel
"Yay aytch lich ... trurtreen oven prerkrershetch... naw lich luleven
... naw wush thrurteen..."
--"Thirteen fucking percosets?!?! Dude the most I ever ate was like
six. Holy shit."
"Aywhirr schmall."
--"What, like 5's?"
"Mm mm mm... mebee..."