Problem fixed (was Re:[rescue] Problem with Alphaserver 300 )

William Barnett-Lewis wlewis at mailbag.com
Sat Jun 22 14:15:29 CDT 2002

Well, I finally had time to sit down and troubleshoot this wee beast. I
pulled out my trusty VT220 clone, bought a gender mender to get the two
talking and hooked them up.
(sheesh - what a connection. db25 to db25 cable. db25 to db25 null
modem. db25 to db9 adaptor. db9f to db9f gender mender. Well, it's what
I have and it works...)

Pulled the disks and all the ram simms and on startup got the no ram
beep code. Put in the 64 mb kit into bank 0. There's the >>> prompt,
just like it should be. Put in the  128 mb kit into bank 1. Comes up the
the >>> prompt. Show mem. 64mb (huh?) 64 in bank 0. bank 1 simm
mismatch. (argh).

It seems whatever doofus at the surplus shop set this one up, managed to
put two 8mb x 36 simms and two 8mb x 33 simms in and as they were in
bank 0 to start, never bothered even a poweron check. Still for $30 I
really shouldn't complain.

So does anyone have 2 8x36 70ns 72 pin parity simms they'd be willing to
sell?

Thanks,

William