[rescue] Sun history question

James Lockwood james at foonly.com
Thu Jun 20 00:26:14 CDT 2002

On Wed, 19 Jun 2002 dave at cca.org wrote:

> I was under the impression that Sun never used this trick.
> The original Sun-1s were just a straight 68000 with no
> trickery, and ran 7th Edition Unix. It wasn't untill the
> 68010 upgraded motherboards, and the Sun-2s that they
> switched to the 68010, and introduced SunOS 1.0 with
> real VM.

This is correct.  The original 68000 Stanford board used a single CPU,
I have (or used to have) the original schematics.  If I can find them I
will pass them on to Bill.

> (And... who did use that trick? Apollo must have. Who else?)

I've certainly heard of it, but the list of companies that actually did it
has long ago slipped my mind.  The 68000 wasn't terribly expensive at the
time compared with other portions of the system, so it was a viable
technique.

-James