[rescue] Sun history question

dave at cca.org dave at cca.org
Wed Jun 19 21:17:14 CDT 2002

Ok, an on-topic question!

I got into a small argument with someone last weekend about
some early Sun history. I thought I had my facts straight,
but I happen to know that this guy really knows his shit,
so now I'm not so sure.

We were discussing the famous trick of using two 68000 CPUs
in parellel, but one instruction off, to do VM and instruction
restart. Weird hack, well known.

I was under the impression that Sun never used this trick.
The original Sun-1s were just a straight 68000 with no
trickery, and ran 7th Edition Unix. It wasn't untill the
68010 upgraded motherboards, and the Sun-2s that they
switched to the 68010, and introduced SunOS 1.0 with
real VM.

My friend claims Sun did use that trick on the original
Sun-1 boards, and they supported VM from the start.

Anyone know?

(And... who did use that trick? Apollo must have. Who else?)

------ David Fischer ------- dave at cca.org ------- http://www.cca.org ------
----- Being poked in the eye with a sharp stick makes baby jesus cry! -----