[rescue] Sick Dreamcast hacker

Joshua D Boyd jdboyd at cs.millersville.edu
Tue Jun 18 14:39:26 CDT 2002

On Tue, Jun 18, 2002 at 03:31:54PM -0500, Scott Newell wrote:

> One question--why FPGA?  A small ARM or MIPS based embedded CPU would seem to
> be a better fit, but then again, I'm a LISP idiot.

Well, you are witnessing the clash of two desires.  1) a lisp
calculater, and 2) a lisp machine.

To satisfy 2), we would need to build custom CPUs.  Doing so is
expensive, and implementing the CPUs as FPGAs is supposed to be
relatively easy.

If we just wanted 1), then ARM, MIPS, 68k, whatever would be a smarter
choice because we could reuse a lot more from PC lisp and/or scheme
environments.

--
Joshua D. Boyd