[rescue] [OT I guess] Graphics tablets

Joshua D Boyd jdboyd at cs.millersville.edu
Mon Jun 17 00:31:34 CDT 2002

On Sun, Jun 16, 2002 at 06:11:31PM +0100, Andrew Howat wrote:
> Hi there
>
> I know this isn't Sun/SGI stuff but I'm bored and its a Sunday and you guys
> are useful with tech stuff damnit :) Anyway, I sketch with pencil and paper
> a lot when I'm not coding (generally when bored or feeling imaginative) and
> I've been thinking about trying it on a PeeCee for a while now. So I was
> wondering if anyone's used any decent graphics tablets that are reasonably
> cheap? I can hardly find any reviews online so I thought I'd try here. I'm
> currently thinking about a Genius EasyPen - small, serial (ugh - USB should
> be standard by now!) but cheap and hopefully cheerful...?
> Anyway, if anyone has any opinions, send them in!

Don't bother with anything other than Wacom (note, Wacom also makes
OEM units to be branded buy other companies like Sony).

Used Wacoms are dirt cheap.  I believe I paid $30 for my new in box
(but actually a discontinued model) Sony branded ArtPadII compatible
unit, and my purchased brand new wacom PenPartner was only $100.

If you have a Mac, ADB wacoms of larger sizes are often cheap.  Once I
get my Mac working satisfactorilly (monitor and networking problems
still), I think I'll probably buy something like a 12x12.

--
Joshua D. Boyd