[rescue] Solaris 9 U1, U5 (was regarding bulk lot purchases (Octanes & Ultras))

Jonathan C. Patschke jp at celestrion.net
Sun Jun 16 14:56:39 CDT 2002

On Sun, 16 Jun 2002, Dave McGuire wrote:

>   Uhh, what?  Java is a complete piece of shit under Windows.  The
> threading is laughable at best.

> MacOS X and Solaris, in that order, are arguably (and by far) the best
> development and execution platforms for Java.

I haven't played with Java under MacOS, but I've had no trouble with Java
under Windows.  It could be that I'm just not pushing the VM as hard as
you guys are, but it's more than adequate for what I'm trying to do.  More
often than not, that's just stretching a GUI skin over some command-line
tool or writing a thin client for a server-based data-manglement app.  So,
other than what's native to Swing, and what I occasionally introduce to
make the UI more responsive, I don't do a lot of multithreaded Java.

I'm using Sun's VM and SDK, not Microsoft's, in case there might be any
confusion.

--Jonathan