[rescue] SGI 480/S Rescue

Jonathan C. Patschke jp at celestrion.net
Sat Jun 15 12:05:36 CDT 2002

> Today I stumbled upon an SGI 480/S Power Series III in the hallway
> with a "dispose" sticker on it. (at first I thought it was a new Coke
> machine!)

'twas a nice machine in its day.  Depending on the graphics option, it
could be an impressive example of its vintage.  They do, however, consume
oodles of power and generate proportional amounts of heat.

> I understand it is an 8 way R3000 system.  Is there any chance that
> this will run any version of linux?  My initial research indicates no.

Uhm.  No.  It will run IRIX 5.3, though, which is a fine OS, so long as
you never expose it to the Internet without a firewall or without -very-
thorough periodic security audit.

--Jonathan