[rescue] Re: 224 mhz sparc 20?

James Lockwood james at foonly.com
Wed Jul 31 08:30:18 CDT 2002

On Wed, 31 Jul 2002, Gavin Hubbard wrote:

> >http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2042644932
> >
> >A 224 mhz SS20?  Yeeesh.  I have some distant recolection of a 200 mhz
> >Ross module, but I don't think I've ever seen one.  Of course, upon
> >looking, I find some reference to a 250 mhz Ross module.
>
> Weird - nothing over 200MHz is listed as a SPARC certified product
>
> http://www.sparc.org/v8.shtml#Bridgepoint
>
> However the seller does say it came from Bridgeport (Ross). So maybe it
> _is_ a genuine engineering prototype? The 1MB L2 cache is very interesting
> - I thought all HytperSPARC modules had 512kB. The double width SBus card
> is interesting - is it a giant framebuffer?

Many had 1MB (such as the 142MHz).  The double-width card looks like a
FDDI or CDDI board to me, though I can't be sure.  There's no mention of
it in the bootup messages, though a cgsix is mentioned.

This could well be a prototype, though the heatsink on the module in the
picture looks like an older style.  Some close ups of the module would be
really nice to see.

Interestingly enough, there's a 2MB PrestoServe VSIMM present in both the
picture and the OBP log.  You can just see the side of the (yellow)
battery on the end of the SIMM.

FWIW, this system is probably on par CPU-wise with a fast Ultra 1.  It's
probably not worth the $450 for raw power, but if you're into collecting
Sun-related oddities...

-James