[rescue] Re: 224 mhz sparc 20?

Gavin Hubbard ghub005 at xtra.co.nz
Tue Jul 30 23:04:50 CDT 2002

>http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2042644932
>
>A 224 mhz SS20?  Yeeesh.  I have some distant recolection of a 200 mhz
>Ross module, but I don't think I've ever seen one.  Of course, upon
>looking, I find some reference to a 250 mhz Ross module.

Weird - nothing over 200MHz is listed as a SPARC certified product

http://www.sparc.org/v8.shtml#Bridgepoint

However the seller does say it came from Bridgeport (Ross). So maybe it
_is_ a genuine engineering prototype? The 1MB L2 cache is very interesting
- I thought all HytperSPARC modules had 512kB. The double width SBus card
is interesting - is it a giant framebuffer?

The most similar thing I've seen in the PC world is a prototype 233MHz
socket 8 Pentium Pro (with a Q stepping number) in private hands. Every so
often these things do grow legs and escape the lab :-)

Regards,

Gavin