[rescue] Update [was: Calling HP Laserjet experts]

James Lockwood james at foonly.com
Mon Jul 29 13:49:41 CDT 2002

On Mon, 29 Jul 2002, Scott Newell wrote:

> the metal frame--probably where they dropped kicked it.  Hopefully I'll get
> UPS to pay off on the damage.

UPS self-insures, so any damage payments come out of their own pockets.
So far as I can tell, any money you give to UPS as "insurance" is only
useful if you end up taking them to court.

If you manage to squeeze anything out of them, I'd love to hear how you
did it.  The only time I managed to get money out of them without legal
action was when I had UPS tire tracks going over my package.  Fortunately
the recipient did not accept it.  As far as I know, any action to recover
insurance money has to be initiated by the sender, as he is the one with
the contract to ship.

Oddly enough, I've had the best luck getting USPS to cover damage in
transit.  They do tend to be the worst at packages that are actually lost,
though.  Tracking is abysmal.  Their "delivery confirmation" is running at
about 50% as of my last count.

Fedex Express does ok.  Fedex Ground/RPS seems to be hit and miss, but
they're so cheap they're hard to pass up.  For big stuff BAX (if it's
breakable) and Forward Air (if it's durable, heavy as hell and crateable)
rock my world.

-James