[rescue] intel vs. sun- for real

Koyote koyote at koyote.cx
Sun Jul 21 00:57:47 CDT 2002

> Yeah, that's what I was thinking. Except that gets really expensive. I
> do like Mr. Hill's 4500 suggestion. Eight cpus'd be great for the
> gzipping, but I don't know if it can handle all the SCSI I/O once we're
> talking 64 disks PLUS the tape silo.

You have no idea how *exactly* this matches a site I worked on.

racks of 420r amchiens, each with gige, scsi3 to the SAN (EMC is your friend) and the tape backup being handled by a dedicated server (SAN- omniback- Adic 1000)

the tape transfer is not going to affect your backemupboxes. those just need lots of gzip and a decent scsi throughput. Or FCAL, of course. One of the reasons I'm suggesting DAS SAN is that you can have all the disk in one clean place and make a rack of (for example) netra 120's (cheap, good cpu) think they have local disk when they don't.

This divides the problem into 3- network, gzip, and storage. I'd hate to try and put all of that in one box (well, for home use, i'd love an e250).

-Christof