[rescue] intel vs. sun- for real

Chris Hedemark chris at yonderway.com
Sun Jul 21 12:37:36 CDT 2002

On Sun, 2002-07-21 at 01:56, s at avoidant.org wrote:

> Yeah, that's what I was thinking. Except that gets really expensive. I
> do like Mr. Hill's 4500 suggestion. Eight cpus'd be great for the
> gzipping, but I don't know if it can handle all the SCSI I/O once we're
> talking 64 disks PLUS the tape silo.

Important note, multiple CPU's will only help gzip if you are running
multiple gzip jobs at once.  gzip does not make use of multiple
processors.  Even then, I/O could quickly become a bottleneck.

For somewhat better compression, check out bzip2 which is almost (but
not quite) a drop-in replacement for gzip.

mgzip will make use of multiple CPU's, but initial tests show it doesn't
run any faster than gzip if you only have two processors.  If you're on
a 4-way or 8-way machine (or more) you may or may not see improved
backup performance.