[rescue] intel vs. sun- for real

s at avoidant.org s at avoidant.org
Sun Jul 21 00:56:59 CDT 2002

Koyote wrote:

> If all you want at all is toasting a single 100/tx interface, you can do it with an SM81. That's easy, but the 8x8 73  gig drives, the gzip, and the constant transfer argue to me that a SAN (even a homebrew), a pile of cpu for compression, and a whole buttload of ethernet is called for

Yeah, that's what I was thinking. Except that gets really expensive. I
do like Mr. Hill's 4500 suggestion. Eight cpus'd be great for the
gzipping, but I don't know if it can handle all the SCSI I/O once we're
talking 64 disks PLUS the tape silo.

Hrm. Plus we really out to go Gig-E. Not enough slots, are there?

---sambo