[rescue] Q: Best way of going from FDDI to 100BT network?

Leslie Connally lesliec at theplanet.com
Fri Jul 19 08:30:39 CDT 2002

Best? or affordable :-)

Trouble is, if I understand most uf us on this list, is that BEST=CHEAP.
the easily available (ie CHEAP) FDDI/Ethernet Switches around either
predate 100TX or if 100TX modules exist, they are in great demand ($$$)

Old 3Com Lanplex did FDDI.. and there is alot around.  the 2500, even the
6000 both have (now free) FDDI modules. but 100TX mods for these are
hardtofind or valuable.  The cisco Cat 5K FDDI mods are cheap..  but the
switches are not esp.

old SMC/cabletron ESX.. what else?  Bay Centillions dont do fddi only ATM.. hmm

But anyway.. thats the problem

I'm sure Cisco will be happy to sell you a FDDI mod for your $50,000 Cat
12000 for $5000

CHEAP.. (hardly BEST) SOLUTION:

Cheap FDDI <-> 10BT Switch.. then a separate 10/100 Switch

ALT:
Dual NIC _System_..  FDDI & 100TX