[rescue] Survey: what do you want in _your_ SPARC?

Joshua D Boyd jdboyd at cs.millersville.edu
Thu Jul 18 23:44:34 CDT 2002

On Thu, Jul 18, 2002 at 09:12:14PM -0400, nick at snowman.net wrote:
> You're not too terribly familiar with all the quirks of the SB Live cards
> are you?  They've got a couple.. Quirks that "Audiophiles" & Serious Sound
> Guys (tm) have bitched at me about.  (Can't sync the output or input
> easilly, though you may be able to work around that)

OK, the main quirks I've heard of is that you can't sync this card, so
it must be the master.  I think this isn't going to be an issue to
most people unless they already have a huge amount of digital gear
that they want this integrated with, and a good reason for something
else to be the master (like say it is also a cheap audio device that
must be master).

The second quirk I'm familiar with is that this card only works in
48khz mode.  No matter what you are feeding it, it is converting
everything to 48khz.  If you are recording from analog in and playing
through analog out, this is no big deal.  If you are playing CDs, it
is suboptimal, although I can't say as I've really noticed the
difference.  If you are working with other digital gear via the
digital IO ports, then we might have an issue, if the other gear isn't
up to the task of working at 48khz.  If it can, then problem solved.

There may be quirks to writing drivers, but those are the two quirks
that I'm familiar with that effect everybody no matter how the driver
is written.

--
Joshua D. Boyd