[rescue] Survey: what do you want in _your_ SPARC?

Joshua D Boyd jdboyd at cs.millersville.edu
Thu Jul 18 23:46:36 CDT 2002

On Thu, Jul 18, 2002 at 11:42:14PM -0400, Katherine Strojny wrote:
> nick at snowman.net wrote:
> > You're not too terribly familiar with all the quirks of the SB Live
> cards
> > are you?
>
> Nope, I'm (pre-)entry-level when it comes to the sound stuff.
>
> > They've got a couple.. Quirks that "Audiophiles" & Serious Sound
> > Guys (tm) have bitched at me about.  (Can't sync the output or
> > input easilly, though you may be able to work around that)
>
> I think so, if only because such fine distinctions are beyond me, at
> this point.  This is good to know.

In my opinion, if you have enough gear for the quirks to be an issue,
then just spend a few extra bucks for a real pro quality sound card.
Used AudioMediaIII cards aren't that much more than new SBLive
platinums (and perhaps they are less).  And RME cards are also
sometimes affordable.  The company that makes the Echo and Gina also
has some affordable cards, but they don't release the specs needed for
writing drivers.

--
Joshua D. Boyd