[rescue] DECstation 5000h

Eric Dittman dittman at dittman.net
Mon Jul 15 22:09:56 CDT 2002

> > >   Agreed, but I did *see* it running on a couple of DS5000s.
> >
> > I believe you Dave, since engineers at DEC have admitted to
> > working on a port themselves.  What I haven't seen anyone
> > discuss is _WHY_ the port was dropped.  My guess is the
> > work was diverted to getting NT working on the upcoming
> > Alpha.
>
> Of course, if there were engineers at DEC stupid enough to think that
> MS was a company worth working with, then it kind of explains why DEC
> is no longer in business and has been bought up by Carly's Folly Inc.

It was never the engineers that wanted to get into bed with
Microsoft.  The person that really wanted to marry MS was
GQ Palmer.

> It was quite obvious to many that MS was not serious about breaking
> away from Intel; it was just a feint.

I believe that Microsoft did/does want to lose their dependence
on Intel.  That was the whole reason behind ARC.  Unfortunately
the same momentum that keeps MS on top also keeps Intel on top.
--
Eric Dittman
dittman at dittman.net