[rescue] Have I erred? (SGI division)

Tim H. lists at pellucidar.net
Sat Jul 13 14:20:55 CDT 2002

On Sat, 13 Jul 2002 16:36:02 -0400
"Sheldon T. Hall" <shel at cmhcsys.com> wrote:

> Folks-
>
> I decided to get with the Sun Rescue program and rescue an SGI today
> ... would anyne care to tell me what I did?
>
> I got a teal-cased Indigo2 with 200 MHz R4400, 80 MB RAM and Extreme
> graphics and a GDM20D11 monitor.  The computer has no drives or drive
> sleds, but the seller is going to give me one HD sled.  I also have to
> provide my own PS/2 keyboard (got plenty), mouse (got plenty) and
> video cable.
>
> As you might expect, I have a few questions....
>
> Will a Sun 13w3 video cable work?
Yep.

> Will this monitor work on a Sun LX? On a typical PC?

ummm...

> Will this box boot from my Sun-bootable Plexstor 32X, 68-pin SCSI
> CD-ROM drive?

should, it boots from my plextor 32TSi 50 pin, but does mumble about
some scsi error, seems to work fine though.
> Does it want 50-pin or 68-pin SCSI internal drives?

All I am familiar with use 50pin, the sled has an SCA connector on it.

> If the seller doesn't provide a sled, will the Indigo2 work with just
> an external SCSI HD, none internal?

Should work OK, haven't done so myself

> He's offered me a choice between IRIX 6.2 and 6.5 ... which should I
> choose?

I'd go with 6.5 myself, bigger/up to dater freeware from SGI.  I have
never run less than 128M RAM, so ne experience there

> If it's teal, why do they call it Indigo?

Because SGI broke their name/color linkage.  Crimson and Indigo are
right, Indigo2s are either teal or maroonish purple, or in the case of
my wifes maroonish purple with teal feet :-)