[rescue] Have I erred? (SGI division)

Dave McGuire mcguire at neurotica.com
Sat Jul 13 16:54:03 CDT 2002

On July 13, Sheldon T. Hall wrote:
> I got a teal-cased Indigo2 with 200 MHz R4400, 80 MB RAM and Extreme
> graphics and a GDM20D11 monitor.  The computer has no drives or drive sleds,
> but the seller is going to give me one HD sled.  I also have to provide my
> own PS/2 keyboard (got plenty), mouse (got plenty) and video cable.

  Good score!  Nice config.  More memory would be nice, but an Extreme
is a great graphics subsystem.

> Will a Sun 13w3 video cable work?

  Yup, I use 'em on SGIs all the time.

> Will this box boot from my Sun-bootable Plexstor 32X, 68-pin SCSI CD-ROM
> drive?

  It should...I've booted many an SGI from 50-pin Plextor drives.

> Does it want 50-pin or 68-pin SCSI internal drives?

  50-pin.  The internal bus is narrow.

> If the seller doesn't provide a sled, will the Indigo2 work with just an
> external SCSI HD, none internal?

  Yup.

> He's offered me a choice between IRIX 6.2 and 6.5 ... which should I choose?

  6.5.

> If it's teal, why do they call it Indigo?

  Because the world is a strange, strange place.

         -Dave