[rescue] AXi Third-Party SCSI

Eric Dittman dittman at dittman.net
Fri Jul 12 12:23:14 CDT 2002

> > They are both Symbios cards.  I'll try the two commands tonight.
>
> As in actual, Symbios produced PCBs?  Get the model number, should be
> 8751SP for the single channel version and have a dolphin silkscreened in
> the corner.  A prtconf -v wouldn't hurt either.

One is Symbios, the other is... it just slipped my mind, before
they were Symbios.

> > I also have a dual channel U2W 64-bit PCI SCSI card that has
> > OBP firmware, but that would be severe overkill just for a CDROM
> > drive.  I should go ahead and try it just to make sure there's
> > not some other problem with the AXi board.
>
> It would be strange indeed for an issue with the board to cause this.
>
> Why, exactly, do you need an additional channel for a CDROM drive?  The
> AXi does have 2 UW channels built in, are those so totally saturated with
> bandwidth and devices that you have no room for the CD?

The primary reason is this is in a rackmount case, so there's
only one internal SCSI channel, and I want to reserve that for
the UW disks.  I don't want the bus having to run fast because
of the CDROM drive.
--
Eric Dittman
dittman at dittman.net