[rescue] AXi Third-Party SCSI

James Lockwood james at foonly.com
Fri Jul 12 12:06:12 CDT 2002

On Fri, 12 Jul 2002, Eric Dittman wrote:

> They are both Symbios cards.  I'll try the two commands tonight.

As in actual, Symbios produced PCBs?  Get the model number, should be
8751SP for the single channel version and have a dolphin silkscreened in
the corner.  A prtconf -v wouldn't hurt either.

x86 BIOS code is not used on these cards, obviously.  OpenBoot can handle
them directly and glm picks up where OB leaves off.

> I also have a dual channel U2W 64-bit PCI SCSI card that has
> OBP firmware, but that would be severe overkill just for a CDROM
> drive.  I should go ahead and try it just to make sure there's
> not some other problem with the AXi board.

It would be strange indeed for an issue with the board to cause this.

Why, exactly, do you need an additional channel for a CDROM drive?  The
AXi does have 2 UW channels built in, are those so totally saturated with
bandwidth and devices that you have no room for the CD?

-James