[rescue] AXi Third-Party SCSI

James Lockwood james at foonly.com
Fri Jul 12 12:38:36 CDT 2002

On Fri, 12 Jul 2002, Eric Dittman wrote:

> One is Symbios, the other is... it just slipped my mind, before
> they were Symbios.

LSI Logic?  NCR?

> The primary reason is this is in a rackmount case, so there's
> only one internal SCSI channel, and I want to reserve that for
> the UW disks.  I don't want the bus having to run fast because
> of the CDROM drive.

Cheap and simple solution: stick an internal/external 50-pin SCSI PCI
backplate in an open slot.  Use a short (1') external 68/50 SCSI cable to
loop from the external SCSI connector to the backplate.  Total parts
outlay: $14.50 (pc-pitstop.com).

The bus will only be slowed down when you are actively performing reads
from the CDROM drive.  Will that really be very often?

-James