[rescue] DECStation 5000 questions

Tim H. lists at pellucidar.net
Tue Jul 9 07:57:47 CDT 2002

Trying to light up a 5000/240, and have a few questions.

I have a memory module sized card, with a bit of RAM, what looks like an
AMD PAL and a 3v battery on it, might this be a presto serve module?

Does it matter from which end I fill the memory slots?

I am attempting to use a VT420 as console, I have removed the graphics
card, and am talking to the port labeled comm 3, but I don't know the
origin of my modular cable, what is the wiring pattern for what I need?
Right now I am getting a line of garbage, then a column of garbage down
the right hand screen edge, which stops when the blinkenlights on the
back of the 5000 stop.

Once I get this running, if I decide to do so, is the R4400 CPU a drop
in upgrade?

TIA

Tim