[rescue] dumpster-diving news ($35,000)

Phil Brutsche phil at tux.obix.com
Tue Jul 9 00:19:35 CDT 2002

Chris Hedemark wrote:

> And I've got a bunch of Macs that appear on the surface to take SDRAM,
> but when you actually try it doesn't work that way.  It is really just
> EDO RAM on a DIMM board.  The notches on the board are slightly off of
> what you would typically see on SDRAM.

Yea, I've got a couple of those systems myself.  99% of the time they're
  pre-G3 systems.

They're 5v EDO/FPM DIMMs, very similar to what SS4s/SS5s take - I've
heard that you can put SS4/5 memory in a PCI Mac, but not necessarily
the reverse.  They also look similar to what my U5 takes (altho I
haven't compared the notches).

Beige G3s & B&W G3s & newer systems take low-profile PC100/PC133 mem
sticks - except for iMacs which take SODIMMS, like PC laptops[1].

Phil

1) IIRC - I don't have access to anything newer than a 604e PMac clone
with a G3 upgrade card.