[rescue] dumpster-diving news ($35,000)

Andrew Weiss ajwdsp at cloud9.net
Tue Jul 9 08:32:39 CDT 2002

On Tuesday, July 9, 2002, at 01:19 AM, Phil Brutsche wrote:

> Chris Hedemark wrote:
>
>> And I've got a bunch of Macs that appear on the surface to take SDRAM,
>> but when you actually try it doesn't work that way.  It is really just
>> EDO RAM on a DIMM board.  The notches on the board are slightly off of
>> what you would typically see on SDRAM.
>
> Yea, I've got a couple of those systems myself.  99% of the time
> they're  pre-G3 systems.
>
> They're 5v EDO/FPM DIMMs, very similar to what SS4s/SS5s take - I've
> heard that you can put SS4/5 memory in a PCI Mac, but not necessarily
> the reverse.  They also look similar to what my U5 takes (altho I
> haven't compared the notches).
>
> Beige G3s & B&W G3s & newer systems take low-profile PC100/PC133 mem
> sticks - except for iMacs which take SODIMMS, like PC laptops[1].

The Beige are spec'd at PC-66 and the B&W PC-100... the Graphite G4's
and Quicksilvers until the latest Xserve take PC133.

The B&W doesn't require low profile.  If you open the case you can see
that there is about 6 or 7 inches of space above the RAM sockets... they
lie in a plane above the DVD/CD.

So to the person with the PC-100 256'ers... whatcha want for em... +
including trade of 2 128's... :-) (only partly serious... since I'm
unemployed...but a generous offer of nearly free would be nice)

-Andrew