[rescue] cheap gps for time reference

Kris Kirby kris at catonic.net
Mon Jul 8 19:44:14 CDT 2002

On Mon, 8 Jul 2002, Brian Dunbar wrote:
> Hey, you speak the lingo!  I love it when my wife and the special ed team
> meet for the first time -- they start talking 'jargon' and things are much
> friendlier.  Wife knows what she wants for the boy and the meeting trundles
> speedily along.

IEP Meeting were awful to me... go get all the teachers, the special ed
(EC) teacher, and a principal. Embarrassing.

I was in the EC group for unknown reasons, other than to accelerate me
back up to grade level. (I should have graduated in 97, but most of my
friends are / were underclassmen.) But they tried once to get the books to
start the process, and then quit. Being unaware to what I was supposed to
be doing, I didn't realize until slightly after graduation '98 what
exactly had happened. I'm friends with a number of dropouts, incidentally.

> We've discussed that.  There isn't, as far as we can tell, any stigmata
> attached to it - he doesn't merit any special attention from the special Ed,
> aside from our yearly meeting, and we should avoid that this year, for some
> obscure reason I don't pretend to understand.  It does give him access to
> the CMC, which is something EVERY kid should have access to, IMHO.

We didn't have a CMC. If we did, the librarians didn't do anything with it
or let anyone know it was there. I actually caught them `misusing' funds
-- the vocational department had some machines (shiny new P200s) come in
and get put into a `lab' in the back of the library... no one knew they
were there, so they didn't get much if any use, and eventually the
librarian moved the shitty machines back and put the spiffy ones up front.
They were control freaks. We had quite a thing going; if you actually
wanted you machine fixed, come down to Electronics. If you want it wiped
and reinstalled, go there. They were majorly lacking in clue. But their
guys `sold' themselves to everyone...

It was hard to get involved in anything interesting without being related
or practically related to the principal.

Fer Christsakes, his sister-in-law was his third in command. (His wife was
a teacher, everyone went to the same church, etc. etc.)