[rescue] Re: Sun2 update

Matthew Fredette fredette at alum.mit.edu
Sat Jul 6 23:03:20 CDT 2002

> I got the 2/50 to correctly get info from the NetBSD box, but I
> can't find out what files to put there to get it to boot an old
> SunOS. I found references to sun.bb on the net but can't find it. I
> did try ndboot.sun.{pub0,pub1,private} from the SunOS 3.5 boottapes
> (in /tftpboot) to no avail.

Here's what I found tonight, using the tape images from:

http://www.siliconsamsara.org/tapeimages/sun2/sunos-4.0.3/

tape1/09 is a .tar, containing sun2.bb and boot.sun2.  sun2.bb is
suitable for a single argument to NetBSD's ndbootd.  boot.sun2
should be placed in /tftpboot, with a 09ABCDEF.SUN2 symlink pointing
to it, where 09ABCDEF is the hex of your client's IP address.  In
addition to ndbootd, configure and start rarpd, inetd(tftpd),
rpc.bootparamd, and the NFS server as you would for a sun3 SunOS netboot.

Now extract tape1/05 as a raw binary, and install it in the diskless root
under the name vmunix.

With all of that, you should see something like this on your 2/120 after
you give "b ec()" (for 3Com Ethernet) or "b ie()" (for Intel Ethernet):

  Boot: ec(0,0,0)vmunix
  Using IP Address 10.0.0.11 = A00000B.
  Booting from tftp server at 10.0.0.10 = A00000A.
  Downloaded 120936 bytes from tftp server.
  Using IP Address 10.0.0.11 = 0A00000B
  hostname: still-remains.home
  Boot: null domain name returned by bootparam server
  server name 'the-gates-of-delirium'
  root pathname '/data/export/sun2-elf-root'
  root on the-gates-of-delirium:/data/export/sun2-elf-root fstype nfs
  Boot: vmunix
  Size: 520864+90768+140016 bytes
  Boot:

I dunno why it dumps me back at this Boot: prompt.  One guess is that
I'm booting the wrong kernel, and the right kernel loads at a different
address that this booter is then willing to transfer to.

> I then concentrated on NetBSD. I've got the 2/50 so far as to boot a
> kernel from the NetBSD box (using ndbootd, rarpd, bootparamd, NFS),
> but after loading the kernel it hangs..

What's the last thing you see before the hang?

> The 2/170 has a video card but it's showing nothing on the screen. I
> also attached a terminal to SIO-A. I do see the characters echoing, but
> not always the correct character, so it's probably a serial setting
> that's wrong. I haven't been able to find the correct serial settings
> yet.

9600,N,8,1

> Does it make a difference in which slot a card is put?

Ya.  For one, the P2 memory bus needs to be properly terminated.  See:

http://www.sunhelp.org/faq/sunref6.html

Matt

--
Matt Fredette