[rescue] re: gps and mac&cheese, et al.

Skeezics Boondoggle skeezics at q7.com
Sat Jul 6 23:12:55 CDT 2002

fellow abuser of subject lines,

> > Public education... is child abuse.
> >
> Only if you're not one of the typical slice that comprises 90% of the
> population - probably destined to be happy being mediocre - aspires to
> be management at McDonalds someday... kind of person.  The faceless /
> brainless masses *need* a system like this, otherwise they'd never learn
> to count or read.

bah.  the system is falling apart because the foundation of it _is_
education - without an educated and informed citizenry to keep their
elected leaders honest, corruption and abuse of power and class struggle
and all the rest of it creeps in.  so when education goes, all the rest
crumbles around it.  or should i say "when it went".  rome is burning...

one of the many things americans keep their heads in the sand about is the
notion that we're a classless society, which is laughable.  yes, there are
masses of asses, and maybe they can find some kind of happiness at their
mcjobs, but i don't believe that anyone, anywhere, given exposure to all
the potential in life and possibilities for achievement would *choose*
mediocrity.  but then, *how* do you build a society of 285 million
brilliant thinkers, artists, philosphers, poets, scientists, dreamers,
builders - and get anything done?  gotta have that underclass to do all
the shit work so we privileged few can move electrons around for a living
and make more in a year than many of them will earn in a decade - or a
lifetime.  our system allows for a limited number of winners, and
countless millions of losers - and it's a very, very dangerous thing when
those on top forget just how outnumbered they are...

so despite a public school edyookayshun, i actually turned out okay, i
think.  whoops!  there's the problem right there:  i think.  somehow, and
they have a commission studying this so it won't happen again, i managed
to learn _how_ to think, not _what_ to think in school, and boy does THAT
piss people off - teachers, bosses, cops, pollsters, telemarketers, my
state's congressional delegation... :-)  i'm not a big fan of public
schools, but the need for better education is greater now than ever
before.  fitting that i'm wearing my "adminspotting" t-shirt today. :-)

anyway, i should chomp back down firmly on my tongue and stay OUT of
non-computer topics as much as possible on this list because there are
plenty of other places to rant and flame, and i reeeally should just "type
and delete" this one, and stick to old computers.  i love old computers!
and beer.  and kamikaze shooters, the perfect foil to a warm guinness.

back to semi-lurk mode.