[rescue] cheap gps for time reference

Dave McGuire mcguire at neurotica.com
Fri Jul 5 20:42:07 CDT 2002

On July 5, Joshua D Boyd wrote:
> > Get away from giving the impression of "cheap" to one of being
> > "thrifty" and Pops will probably come around.
>
> I'm not sure exactly how to express one versus the other.  The few
> presents I've given Deb have not been cheap ones by any means...

  Rule #1: NEVER EVER spend more than three seconds figuring out how
much to kick in when the check comes at a restaurant.  If I'm out to
dinner with friends and "calculation" occurs, I make it a very big
point to NEVER dine with that person(s) again.  Ever.

  That isn't thrifty...that's just plain CHEAP.  There's a concrete
difference for ya.  Being any cheaper would result in peeling apart
rolls of two-ply toilet paper to get two rolls for the price of one.

  One guy (one with a $60K salary, no less) even GOT OUT A CALCULATOR
AND ADDED UP WHAT HE'D ORDERED, and put in exactly that amount...to
the penny.  Beyond the initial cheapness, he assumed, I suppose, that
the rest of us were responsible for divvying up the tip!

  Look at the number at the bottom of the check.  Divide it roughly by
the number of people at the table.  Add a few bucks.  That is all.
(unless of course there are special circumstances, like you only had
an appetizer or you were the only one at the table not ordering three
or four $5 drinks)

> Now there is a good reason to get an IRA or 401k.  I do have savings
> bonds.  That sounds like saving for the future, right? (sure, I only
> have them because my grandmother gave them to be, but still).

  If your grandmother didn't think you were worth it, she probably
wouldn't have given them to you.

  BTW...with big companies going tits-up left & right, and "cooking the
books" all over the place, the best place to keep your fortune is
probably your sock drawer.  I know *I* don't trust those fuckers.

      -Dave