[rescue] cheap gps for time reference

Kris Kirby kris at catonic.net
Sat Jul 6 14:51:50 CDT 2002

On Fri, 5 Jul 2002, Dave McGuire wrote:
>   Rule #1: NEVER EVER spend more than three seconds figuring out how
> much to kick in when the check comes at a restaurant.  If I'm out to
> dinner with friends and "calculation" occurs, I make it a very big
> point to NEVER dine with that person(s) again.  Ever.

I spend a few seconds calculating what 15% of the total was and think if
the service was worth it. Among the best service we have ever had in a
resturant[0], was from a guy who looked to be in between jobs and about 40
- 45. He really stayed on top of everything and I didn't need to remind
him more than once after I ran out of soda or water (I drink very fast and
this throws people off).

>   That isn't thrifty...that's just plain CHEAP.  There's a concrete
> difference for ya.  Being any cheaper would result in peeling apart
> rolls of two-ply toilet paper to get two rolls for the price of one.

>   One guy (one with a $60K salary, no less) even GOT OUT A CALCULATOR
> AND ADDED UP WHAT HE'D ORDERED, and put in exactly that amount...to
> the penny.  Beyond the initial cheapness, he assumed, I suppose, that
> the rest of us were responsible for divvying up the tip!

One thing that Suit School enforces is that in order to become a sucessful
suit, you must avoid reaching for your wallet at all times. And to be
cheap.

>   BTW...with big companies going tits-up left & right, and "cooking the
> books" all over the place, the best place to keep your fortune is
> probably your sock drawer.  I know *I* don't trust those fuckers.

Having just read `The Jungle' by Upton Sinclair, I see too many
similarities with current business and that of a century ago. Since we
actively ignore our history, we tend to move in the same slow circles...
Indeed, the only ones learning from history are our militaries.

[0]: Fuck it. I was out drinking last night, I feel like shit.