[rescue] cheap gps for time reference

Joshua D Boyd jdboyd at cs.millersville.edu
Fri Jul 5 19:37:41 CDT 2002

On Fri, Jul 05, 2002 at 08:17:58PM -0400, Patrick Giagnocavo +1.717.201.3366 wrote:
> On Fri, Jul 05, 2002 at 08:19:02PM -0400, Joshua D Boyd wrote:
> > >   Ahh, overprotective and judgemental parents.  What fun. ;)
> >
> > They just happen to come from a background where they want to see
> > their daughter well cared for.  I can understand that.  I've seen
>
> Yes, it is understandable.  Here's a question though: did Daddy always
> pay for everything she wanted, or did he set limits even if they had
> the cash?  Expect h*ll to ensue the first time you have to say "I
> can't afford that right now..." for something she wants if the former.

No, in this case her father didn't pay for everything she wanted.  She
even paid her own way through college by working at least one pretty
nasty job (foundry type place, 12 hour swing shifts).

> Quite frankly, it's not fair to the woman.  Yes I am a male chauvinist
> pig.  When kids come, the woman needs to have enough free time to be a
> full time mother.

That my general idea.  I'd be willing to allow that for some families
full time father could also work instead, but that isn't our plan.

> Get away from giving the impression of "cheap" to one of being
> "thrifty" and Pops will probably come around.

I'm not sure exactly how to express one versus the other.  The few
presents I've given Deb have not been cheap ones by any means...

> Mention that you have a few bucks stashed in an IRA or 401k (even if
> it is just $200 he doesn't need to know that) and he will feel better.

Now there is a good reason to get an IRA or 401k.  I do have savings
bonds.  That sounds like saving for the future, right? (sure, I only
have them because my grandmother gave them to be, but still).

> As long as he knows you are hard working he'll bite his tongue.
> You've somehow demonstrated to him that you are hard-working, right?

I'm not sure how well he would or would not have noticed that.
Unfortunately, when most people think lots of computers, they think
lots of $$$.  But I don't think anyone has pointed out to him yet that
I have lots of computers.

I'm fairly sure his wife views me as hard working.  At least, she
keeps telling me I'm working to hard and am going to kill myself.

--
Joshua D. Boyd