[rescue] cheap gps for time reference

Patrick Giagnocavo +1.717.201.3366 patrick at .zill.net
Fri Jul 5 19:17:58 CDT 2002

On Fri, Jul 05, 2002 at 08:19:02PM -0400, Joshua D Boyd wrote:
> >   Ahh, overprotective and judgemental parents.  What fun. ;)
>
> They just happen to come from a background where they want to see
> their daughter well cared for.  I can understand that.  I've seen

Yes, it is understandable.  Here's a question though: did Daddy always
pay for everything she wanted, or did he set limits even if they had
the cash?  Expect h*ll to ensue the first time you have to say "I
can't afford that right now..." for something she wants if the former.

> enough men who have their wifes working full time AND raising the
> family so that they can chase a new startup that never makes any
> money.  That is pretty miserable for the wifes, having to do all

Quite frankly, it's not fair to the woman.  Yes I am a male chauvinist
pig.  When kids come, the woman needs to have enough free time to be a
full time mother.

> But, from a parents point of view, if the man isn't established when
> he marries your daughter, how do you know he will be by the time kids
> come along?  If I were them, I'd probably be a bit worried also.  It's
> not like they really know me all that well.  And I do tend to wear
> worn out cloths and drive a worn out car.

Get away from giving the impression of "cheap" to one of being
"thrifty" and Pops will probably come around.

Mention that you have a few bucks stashed in an IRA or 401k (even if
it is just $200 he doesn't need to know that) and he will feel better.

As long as he knows you are hard working he'll bite his tongue.
You've somehow demonstrated to him that you are hard-working, right?

/me realizes what an arrogant windbag I am being...

./patrick