[rescue] cheap gps for time reference

Joshua D Boyd jdboyd at cs.millersville.edu
Fri Jul 5 19:19:02 CDT 2002

On Fri, Jul 05, 2002 at 07:23:25PM -0400, Dave McGuire wrote:

> > It is entirely possible to be a principle owner and still be the
> > technical guy.  Look at ID Software.  The managers there answer to one

>   It's definitely the exception rather than the rule.

That is true.  But that doesn't mean it shouldn't be encouraged.

> > Well, true.  I figured that the $3k a month might have been what you
> > had budgeted to live on until you took off.
>
>   Heh.  Fuck no.  Do you think I'd WILLINGLY put myself in a situation
> where I'm having to keep a list of excuses sitting by the phone for
> when the collection agents call?  The boss-dude went to extreme

You never know.  Many people want it badly enough to do just that.

> > How did it work out that you and other employees work in your house
> > with you being a principle owner?  It would take more than just stock
> > options to make me do that.

>   Well "other employees" was Sridhar...he was crashing on my couch
> long before he got involved in this project.  As for me, I PREFER to
> work in my house.  I have better equipment, better facilities, and a
> better work environment here than (frankly) all but the very
> best-funded companies could offer me.  And I can work in my underwear,
> on MY schedule.

Well, I'm not much of one for lounging and/or working in underwear (as
more than one person will attest, I usually show up most places
wearing a shirt with buttons and slacks or kahki jeans), but I
certainly can understand the appeal of working at home.  Sadly, my
home is better equipped than any place I've worked other than Pfizer
(and even that counts if like me you consider linux and macos to be
superior to win95).  I say sadly because the stuff in my home cost so
little you would think any company would want to out do it for worker
productivity.

And if Sridhar was already there, I guess there wouldn't be any real
reason to stop him.

Might want to make sure he doesn't miss anymore rounds of sun
pickings, BTW.

>   Not sure what to tell you about that.  This is less than one third of
> my last regular salary.  The worst mistake I made was having gotten
> very much used to it.  I don't come from a well-monied family, so I
> was quite eager to make those lifestyle changes.

I need to save more than I do.  My theory is that a minimum one should
keep twenty grand in the bank, but I've never been able to make it to
that point.  One needs to make more than they spend to get there (and
I don't really make much more than I need).

But, I'm used to not having to pack lunchs.  I don't like packing
lunchs.  I like having real food for lunch.  But it would save me a
lot of money.  Drinking less MD would also save me a lot.

> > $GF's father seemed rather worried over my lack of definate plans for
> > after graduation the last I talked to him.  But I don't expect his
> > worrying to cause any problems.

>   Ahh, overprotective and judgemental parents.  What fun. ;)

They just happen to come from a background where they want to see
their daughter well cared for.  I can understand that.  I've seen
enough men who have their wifes working full time AND raising the
family so that they can chase a new startup that never makes any
money.  That is pretty miserable for the wifes, having to do all
that.  That will not be me.  As long as there aren't any kids, I
don't see anything wrong with one supporting the other through a
profitless startup.

But, from a parents point of view, if the man isn't established when
he marries your daughter, how do you know he will be by the time kids
come along?  If I were them, I'd probably be a bit worried also.  It's
not like they really know me all that well.  And I do tend to wear
worn out cloths and drive a worn out car.

--
Joshua D. Boyd