[rescue] re: SGI ZX10 comment

Lionel Peterson lionel4287 at yahoo.com
Tue Dec 17 19:15:27 CST 2002

I have a big purple Intergraph box in storage, but alas it does not
boot.

It is a dual PII box, and I think the problem is that some of the RAM
appears to have been removed (was reported to have 512 Meg, but it
looks like less to me).

Is there anyone that could work with me to get this box up? It was
gotten for pennies on the dollar (maybe penny on th edollar, part of a
$50 lot that included a dozen or so SS/20/Ultra RAM sticks, over a
dozen Creator "SBUS" cards (I know) and some TGX/TGX+ framebuffers), so
I won't cry if it won't boot... ;^)

I can get specific model info, but I'll have to stop by my storage
space and pick it up...

Thanks in advance,

Lionel

--- Gavin Hubbard <ghub005 at xtra.co.nz> wrote:
> The Zx10 was _the_ fastest NT workstation in the world as late as
> September 2000. Even by PC standards, this is not your usual machine.
> For example, the base chassis has:
>
> Dual processor support
> AGP pro 50 slot
> Two 64/66 PCI slots
> Four 64/33 PCI slots
> Memory bandwidth of 2.1GB per second
> System bandwidth of 5GB per second
> Up to 8GB of RAM (eight DIMMs)
> Dual onboard U160 SCSI controllers
>
> Of course they're not supported by SGI now, and the peak performance
> is eclipsed by the P4 Xeon, so the EBay auction prices will reflect
> that. But they are still pretty awesome machines and about as close
> to a real workstation as a PC can get. I wouldn't think twice about
> making space on my desk for one (-:

=====
Lionel

http://mailplus.yahoo.com