[rescue] re: SGI ZX10 comment

Gavin Hubbard ghub005 at xtra.co.nz
Tue Dec 17 16:22:14 CST 2002

Hi Joshua (and list)

<<
I always was under the impression that they were just a PC that was
built well and had a workstation class video card.

Now, one machine I wouldn't mind having, even though it is a PC, is an
Intergraph StudioZ machine.  Pre wildcat graphics, built in SDI-601, 2
or 4 PPro 200 chips.

The Zx10 was _the_ fastest NT workstation in the world as late as September 2000. Even by PC standards, this is not your usual machine. For example, the base chassis has:

Dual processor support
AGP pro 50 slot
Two 64/66 PCI slots
Four 64/33 PCI slots
Memory bandwidth of 2.1GB per second
System bandwidth of 5GB per second
Up to 8GB of RAM (eight DIMMs)
Dual onboard U160 SCSI controllers

Of course they're not supported by SGI now, and the peak performance is eclipsed by the P4 Xeon, so the EBay auction prices will reflect that. But they are still pretty awesome machines and about as close to a real workstation as a PC can get. I wouldn't think twice about making space on my desk for one (-:

Regards,

Gavin