Apple Clones (was: [rescue] BMRT SGI)

Joshua D Boyd jdboyd at cs.millersville.edu
Mon Dec 16 23:00:27 CST 2002

On Mon, Dec 16, 2002 at 10:19:24AM -0600, Jonathan C. Patschke wrote:
> On Mon, 16 Dec 2002, Joshua D Boyd wrote:
>
> > In my very limited expereince MacOS before X was a disaster for C
> > programmers.
>
> You're right (again, IMHO).  The Pascal API to the toolbox was pretty
> decent.

But I never actually learned Pascal.  I have a copy of THINK Pascal, but
never got around to doing anything with it.

> However, even for mundane work, C in Mac OS suffered mainly from a lack
> of things that it takes for granted (command-line arguments and a
> (FILE *)-compatible console, for example).

Didn't you get that stuff in MPW?  I was under the impression it added
those.  But I was trying to do graphical development in metroworks and
found it a pain.  Eventually, I will try MPW.

> > I thought long and hard about the mac because it would have been so
> > cool, but the PC finally won out.  What was I thinking.
>
> Probably the same thing I was back in '92.  The macs were so pretty and
> so shiny, and I -really- wanted one of those Quadras with the full-page
> displays, but the Packard Bell was about a fifth of the cost, ran most
> of the apps I had been brain-damaged with, and had Turbo Pascal and
> Turbo C++, which were also much more affordable than Think C and mumble-
> mumble Pascal at the time.

Yeah, the cost of replacing software was also an issue.  That wouldn't
block me as much now since I'm far less dependent on commercial
software, and to the extent I am, I have other computers.

--
Joshua D. Boyd