Apple Clones (was: [rescue] BMRT SGI)

Jonathan C. Patschke jp at celestrion.net
Mon Dec 16 10:19:24 CST 2002

On Mon, 16 Dec 2002, Joshua D Boyd wrote:

> In my very limited expereince MacOS before X was a disaster for C
> programmers.

You're right (again, IMHO).  The Pascal API to the toolbox was pretty
decent.

However, even for mundane work, C in Mac OS suffered mainly from a lack
of things that it takes for granted (command-line arguments and a
(FILE *)-compatible console, for example).

> I thought long and hard about the mac because it would have been so
> cool, but the PC finally won out.  What was I thinking.

Probably the same thing I was back in '92.  The macs were so pretty and
so shiny, and I -really- wanted one of those Quadras with the full-page
displays, but the Packard Bell was about a fifth of the cost, ran most
of the apps I had been brain-damaged with, and had Turbo Pascal and
Turbo C++, which were also much more affordable than Think C and mumble-
mumble Pascal at the time.

--
Jonathan Patschke
  "Albert Einstein nailed space-time, but the wild thing had him stumped.