Apple Clones (was: [rescue] BMRT SGI)

Mike Hebel nimitz at speakeasy.net
Fri Dec 13 19:00:04 CST 2002

Jonathan C. Patschke wrote:

> And they both booted MacOS, right? ;)

Bzzt!  Apple-DOS if IIRC - or am I Sarcasm impared again?

> FWIW, I always got noisier video output from a //c than from a Laser
> 128.  Other than that, they were pretty-much the same machines.  The
> Laser was quite a bit larger, all the ones I came in contact with came
> standard with a 3.5" external floppy drive.

They had two internal 5 1/4" drives but could add a 3.5" if you spent
the big bucks.

> Damn, but that platform had some of the neatest shareware games.
> There's one in particular that I'm trying to remember.  It was on one
> of those "whole buncha shareware monthly" or something floppies.  It
> was an overhead-view dungeon game, impossibly difficult, and you
> couldn't save (because saving is for weenies).  I don't remember much
> other than the fact that it was split screen (left-side was view,
> right-side was status) and had really impressive graphics for such an
> early system.

I'm thinking "Wizardry" but I'm probably wrong.  Conan and Lode-Runner
were my favorites.  I used mine mostly for BBS and word processing
stuff.  AppleWorks and a thermal serial printer. ;-)

Mike Hebel