[rescue] Re: Re: Cheap netapp

Robert Novak rnovak at indyramp.com
Sun Apr 21 13:41:32 CDT 2002

On Sun, 21 Apr 2002, Brian Hechinger wrote:

> On Sun, Apr 21, 2002 at 09:45:34AM -0700, Robert Novak wrote:
> >
> > Assuming SCSI, I believe 9GB is the highest supported. ST19171W or
> > ST19171WC is likely to be your cheapest option; Disk Depot in
> > Sunnyvale/Santa Clara has EMC firmware models for $15ish in qty 10+ on
> > ebay (ID is "corpsys") or on their diskdepot.com website.
>
> ok, that's ass kicking.  cool.  do you know anything about the maximum
> number of SCSI channels?  i heard something to the effect that the
> onboard SCSI isn't meant for disks, and that the four SCSI channels
> that mine has is the maximum number of SCSI channels the F330 can
> have.  still, 60x4 is 240GB useable.  not bad.

I believe there is a limit like that, but I don't know. Onboard is
supposedly for a tape drive. You might consider looking for a wide scsi
card to get more drives on the same number of buses. Maybe someone who
knows better about the limits will pop up and help us out.

> > The F330 shouldn't care what enclosure they're in, although for ultimate
> > coolness you want a Storageworks enclosure or four. :-)
>
> i have a whole metric buttload of storageworks shelves.  don't have a
> proper cabinet to put them in, but that's ok, i'll probably put them
> in my DEC short- rack.

Got any spares? :) I have one, but am running short on the drive shells.
Trying to decide how much work to put into this still...

> in addition to the SCSI channels?  hmmm, maybe after we get out Tcards
> build i can construct an enclosure or two and take advantage of those
> cheap FC disks on ebay.

That one I can't tell. Remember that Netapp is very picky about which
disks it can use, and which firmware. So these ST19171WC disks that ID as
SX19171WC are rejected. Might be the same with EMC firmware FC disks too.
I think the ST19171FC will work at least, but on the others I don't know.

--Rob