[rescue] Re: Cheap netapp

Brian Hechinger wonko at arkham.ws
Sun Apr 21 11:50:32 CDT 2002

On Sun, Apr 21, 2002 at 09:45:34AM -0700, Robert Novak wrote:

> Assuming SCSI, I believe 9GB is the highest supported. ST19171W or
> ST19171WC is likely to be your cheapest option; Disk Depot in
> Sunnyvale/Santa Clara has EMC firmware models for $15ish in qty 10+ on
> ebay (ID is "corpsys") or on their diskdepot.com website.

ok, that's ass kicking.  cool.  do you know anything about the maximum number
of SCSI channels?  i heard something to the effect that the onboard SCSI isn't
meant for disks, and that the four SCSI channels that mine has is the maximum
number of SCSI channels the F330 can have.  still, 60x4 is 240GB useable.  not
bad.

> Get native Seagate firmware onto them and they'll be about as cost
> effective on the disk level as IDE. 60GB usable, more or less, before
> snapshots are separated... $105ish. And you have the benefit of 7 drives
> to spread the load across, and some fault resilience to boot.

x4 SCSI channels.  can't wait. ;)

> The F330 shouldn't care what enclosure they're in, although for ultimate
> coolness you want a Storageworks enclosure or four. :-)

i have a whole metric buttload of storageworks shelves.  don't have a proper
cabinet to put them in, but that's ok, i'll probably put them in my DEC short-
rack.

> I think you can run up to an 18GB FC disk on the F330 if you find a FC
> card that's supported under your OS. It's a two-step figuring-out process.
> Find a card that's supported and then find disks that are supported.
> Diskdepot has some nice FC enclosures that are at least close to the style
> that Netapp has used. Look under "Fiber Channel Array Systems" and get the
> drive spec before you buy--make sure they're supported.

in addition to the SCSI channels?  hmmm, maybe after we get out Tcards build
i can construct an enclosure or two and take advantage of those cheap FC disks
on ebay.

-brian
--
"He's hopped up on caffeine. He has the strength of ten mice."  -PVP